Sunday, July 6, 2008

Piddle, Twiddle and Resolve

Before we start on the real reason for this post, I'm sure you've all noticed the new design. I was lying in bed the other day, sleep escaping me and I got to thinking. I realized my original title really didn't fit with what I write in this blog and my summary must've been confusing as it was just a mess. So, I came up with a new title, new picture, better summary and I hope this one will stay. I do like comments and would like to know your opinion! So...Onwards!


I hope everyone is enjoying their 4th of July celebrations. My family has already been to two barbecues. I watched the Macy's Fireworks and then on to what I think may be one of the most faithful adaptations of a musical (of course, I've never seen a staged version of it though): 1776.


The musical tells a familiar story: how the Declaration of Independence came to be. It was written by Peter Stone and Sherman Edwards, a history teacher, and won the Tony for Best New Musical in 1969. The music is pretty decent, but the book is much stronger. Though I dare anyone to listen to "The Lees of Old Virginia" and not get it stuck in your head for hours after. There are other good songs too:


"He Plays the Violin." Sung by Martha Jefferson as she explains to Adams and Franklin how Jefferson won her over and keeps the romance in their relationship.


"Cool Considerate Men." Sung by Dickenson after Adams and Franklin leave, praising those who want to keep the status quo. It is a bit of a tongue-in-cheek jab at the conservatives. Trivia: This song was cut from the original movie and legend says it was at the request of producer Jack L. Wagner's friend President Nixon (a Republican, by then the more conservative American party). However, the DVD and most TV airings restore the song. Also a good watch just for Stephen Nathan's expression as the Courier when he enters Congress' room to see all these men dancing.


"Momma Look Sharp." Sung by the Courier after Congress adjourns for the day. The audience has been enveloped by Congress, trapped in the room with them, seeing only them. The Courier breaks through this and brings the rest of the country in, as he sings about his friends who died at Lexington and Concord.


"Molasses to Rum." Sung by Edward Routledge as the Congress debates Jefferson's Declaration. Routledge, Adams and Jefferson argue about a passage regarding slavery. Routledge sings this to show that New England is just as guilty as the South in regards to the practice. It is a dark song, but brilliantly sung and acted.

Part of the movie's brilliance is it's suspense. The audience knows how the movie ends--the Declaration of Independence is ratified and signed. Yet there is a stretch of tense moments, especially following "Molasses to Rumm," where you wonder if it will happen at all. Most of the original cast reprised their roles in the movie, particularly William Daniels as John Adams and Ken Howard as Jefferson. (Howard da Silva was the original Franklin but had to bow out early in the run due to health problems. Rex Everhart took over the role and is heard on the original cast recording as Franklin. Da Silva was able to return for the movie). It was funny the first time I watched 1776. It was in my Global I class and there was a group epiphany. "Oh my God, John Adams is played by Mr. Feeny!" And then we all finally got a Boy Meets World in-joke. Both John Dickinson and Edward Routledge were played by Donald Madden and John Cullum, respectively, and supplemented the cast brilliantly. The arguments between Dickenson and Adams were well acted.

If you were unable to see this movie, I suggest renting it. It is a great watch and isn't just a dull history lesson. It is also quite quotable, so I leave you with my favorite quote. It is an explanation given by Mr. Lewis to John Hancock as to why New York was always abstaining--courteously! It shows times haven't changed.

"Mr. President, have you ever attended a meeting of the New York Legislature? Everybody talks fast and loud and nothing ever gets done."



No comments: