Saturday, July 19, 2008

Once You've Taken a Dreamflight, The Earth's an Inspiring Sight

Anyone remember Dreamflight in Disney World? It was replaced by Take Flight and now is home to the Buzz Lightyear Astro Spin.

So in my last post, I mentioned the Top 10 Places I would like to visit in the continental United States (though if I had done all 50 states, Alaska would've been on there). So, now let's imagine that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to travel internationally nor is the American dollar the laughingstock of the currency world (I just found out the Canadian dollar is worth more than ours. Huh?). Where would I go?

Here are my top 10 international destinations.

10. Japan. Their television, products and cars have invaded our country, let's go visit theirs! And of course, I myself had an anime phase so it'll be interesting to go there. The drawback? I'm blonde and when I was in Little Japan AKA Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, those Japanese were VERY fascinated with my natural hair. I had to get used to people touching me. I'm from New York City. We don't touch strangers.

9. Greece. I'm a Greek girl and would love to go and see this beautiful country. However, when (and if) I do go, I'm not Greek. American, sure, they love us! Greek-American? We're traitors, deserters! We left and we're not welcome back! Other than that, should be fun. Bring on the food!

8. Egypt. A place where civilization thrived. A chance to see the Pyramids of Giza, the last of the 7 Wonders of the World. A link to the past. Downside? HOT!

7. Amsterdam. This seems like a popular European destination, probably for the legal pot. If I go, I'll have to be careful as I've heard tales of people accidentally consuming some food laced with marijuana. Also a must-see: the Anne Frank house. Especially since I aced directing and staged a scene from The Diary of Anne Frank.

6. Brazil. I don't know. I just want to go.

5. Australia. Well, I didn't make it for World Youth Day this year, but I would love to visit the land down under--especially while we're having our winter and they're in the summer months. I'd go to Sydney, see the opera house, go to the beach, maybe go into the outback. See a koala, our school mascot, as well as a kangaroo!

4. Italy. Good food, beautiful country...I'd go to Rome, see the museums, eat their food, go to the Vatican, see St. Peter's Basilica, the Sistine Chapel, maybe the Pope. I'd also like to go to Milan, Venice, Sicily and Assisi.

3. Norway. I know, probably not the usual jetsetter fare. But the World Showcase is full of not-so-subtle tourism advertising and Norway worked on me. Of course, I wouldn't go during the cold months. But the country looks beautiful and full of relaxing things to do. Of course, the video also hasn't been updated since the mid-80s, but it's still lovely!

2. France. I spent five years learning to speak the language, now I want to see the country! I want to see the Champs Elysee, le Louvre, Notre-Dame de Paris, the Bastille, the Latin Quarter. I want to order in French. I want to see Versailles. I want to go to Normandy, see where my grandfather landed. And I want a croissant and hot chocolate for breakfast!

1. Ireland. Besides being Greek, I'm also Irish and they are much more welcoming. It would be great to go to the Emerald Isle. See Dublin. See the counties. Eat some Irish food, some potatoes and go to the pubs.

As mentioned in my post below, I've been to England. And though I only included countries I haven't been to on this list, I would love to go back to London. Anyway, what are your choices? Do share!

No comments: