Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Back to the Sun, Back to the Shore

In case anyone is wondering, it's been over 24 hours and I'm still upset about last night's episode of "Legally Blonde the Musical: The Search for Elle Woods" (The Soup is right. It is a long title). I think I actually yelled at my TV.

(Note: I missed the first six minutes of the show. Mea culpa.)

Wanna be on top? When I tuned in, the girls were in a hair salon for makeovers! I thought I had tuned into one of the reruns of America's Next Top Model! Natalie and Autumn, our two brunettes, went blonde while the natural blondes (everyone else) got trims. Some makeovers. Though Bailey's freakout over her shorter hair and Autumn trying to keep the contempt for her new style hidden almost made up for the lack of meltdowns in the previous three cycles of Top Model. What do those girls think we watch makeover week for? However, Bailey's freak out doesn't match Cassandra from Top Model's Cycle 5 and I highly doubt anyone will ever live up to Jaeda from Cycle 6 and her consistent "OMG! They cut my hair! I hate it!" And like Top Model, the girls went straight to a photoshoot where they had to impress wearing the same dress and shoes. They were told to stand out. I half expected Mr. Jay Manuel to come out and direct the shoot. In the end, for daring to make a choice, Natalie wins the challenge. Seriously, is this Top Model or Legally Blonde?

And why did Natalie and Autumn have to go blonde? Is it a requirement now? Aren't there wigs?

Natalie wins the chance to spend some quality time with Andy Karl (Kyle the UPS Guy and others/Emmett Understudy). I squeed over the fact that he would be gracing our screens. He's incredibly handsome, incredibly talented and gets entrance applause by just holding out a UPS package. Also, he rocks those khaki shorts. (Trivia: Andy Karl is married to fellow castmate Orfeh (Paulette) who we have seen already). Before the lucky gal goes off and as Autumn stews that it came down between Natalie and Bailey and not her, Haylie Duff reveals that the girls will be singing the title song (Legally Blonde) with Andy! (I guess they couldn't get Christian Borle. Shame).

After Natalie's time with Andy Karl, the girls report to the studio to practice with the ahmahzing Seth Rudetsky. He helps them with the song and each girl has an emotional break through. Some girls realize that, like Elle, they have been judged for their looks. Autumn equates it with being in the casting office. Natalie says it speaks to her as she can't believe she is really here and that they believe in her because she can't believe it. I've watched Top Model enough that I should've recognized the hints. The girls are sent home in anticipation of the next day's audition.

Side note: I've said that Seth is my favorite Playbill.com columnist and this week's Onstage & Backstage he goes into some back stage details of the show. Also, he said something that made me wonder if he was reading any blogs about the show and if mine was one of them. So I'm going to stroke my ego a little and say that about my comments regarding Broadway actors and their absences was based on many an interview I've seen/read with some of the Great White Way's
legends from years past. And now I'm going to take a pin to my ego as it is also a usual topic bantered about on the Broadwayworld.com message boards.

Anyway, on to the girls. Autumn and Lauren gave good performances, as did Natalie. I don't see where the judges thought she was weak. Rhiannon and Bailey gave decent performances as well. This is one of the hard times where they've weeded out the less-talented and you can't pick a bad performance. (See "I'd Do Anything" and the final 5 Nancys). In the end, Rhiannon, Lauren and Natalie were sent down to the casting office. And after one week of what they viewed as a subpar performance, the judges idiotically cut Natalie. It was like poor Aimee's elimination after one bad photoshoot this past cycle.

Next week: Bailey rubs some people (namely, Autumn) the wrong way and the girls perform "What You Want" as the final 3 are determined. We only have two weeks left?

No comments: