Saturday, July 19, 2008

Oh the Places You'll Go!

So, it's summertime. You know what that means--summer vacations! We're all talking about them. I'm filling in for someone on hers. My family is talking about ours (which I will hopefully be able to go on) to Boston. And if there are any regular readers of this blog (seriously, are you out there?), you know of my love affair with the Travel Channel. They are having a contest where you can win a weekend for two anywhere in the continental US. If I were to win, where would I go? Hmm...

You know what we need? A top ten list!

10) Chicago. I'm a city gal as my temporary employer pointed out when I confessed my favorite trip was to London. I'd love to go this city, to walk around and see what Chicago has to offer. And to have a slice of pizza to see if it is just as good as our New York pizzas.

9) San Francisco. The city by the bay. It would be great to see this city, once the center of the hippie movement. To go exploring, to see the Golden Gate and of course, that famous hill.

8) Vermont. While I'm a city girl at heart, there are days I like to get out to the wilderness. Enjoy the beauty of nature. Go on a hike. Or visit a river or a lake. I love going near water.

7) Denver. Right near the Rockies, also famous for it's beauty as well. And a major city! What more could you ask for?

6) Myrtle Beach. I've been here before, but it's been awhile. And it's such a lovely vacation spot, one of the most relaxing places I've ever gone. I think perfect for a quick weekend rejuvenation. Plus, I have family near by. It'd be great to see them again.

5) Any place in Texas. The Lone Star state would be a lovely place to go. Samantha Brown went to Austin in one of her episodes (she also went to Myrtle Beach as well). Houston would be nice as well. And I'd love to see the Rio Grande as well as the Alamo.

4) Minnesota. I was part of a youth group and I made lots of friends from this state. So many, my parents just assumed everyone I talked about was from there and were usually surprised when I would say some place else. It'd be great to see their home state. And while I'm not a mall rat, who could turn down a trip to the Mall of America?

3) Los Angeles. I was there briefly when I was five. Stayed in the Plaza Hotel and was a bit pampered--I waited for the doorman to open the door for me and ordered room service all by myself. I'd love to go back there, despite the traffic. And maybe extend our weekend, hop (or crawl) over to Anaheim and go back to Disneyland.

2) Miami. I've gone to Florida many times. However, I've usually only stayed in the Orlando and Tampa areas. I would love to see this famous party town, go to the beach and visit Little Havana. (Note: If anyone is in the Tampa area, go to Tarpon Springs near Holiday, about a half-hour to 45 minutes away from Tampa. It's a largely Greek area, great shopping and great food).

1) I must admit that Samantha Brown has been a big influence on this list, but these are really the places I would like to see. And the number one place? New Orleans! I'm a Francophile, so it would be great to go down and see the French influence as well as the others. And jazz is always good, right? Besides, we need to support New Orleans as much as the rest of the country supported New York following 9/11.

Well, those are my top ten. What are yours? Do tell. And if anyone responds, I'll post your places as well!

No comments: