Monday, March 13, 2017

When Calls the Heart

Or—why haven’t I discovered this sooner?

I mean, I remember seeing the commercials on Hallmark Channel and I remember there was a movie special that preceded it. And I knew it had something to do with history. Which usually meant I would be all over it (see: Timeless). Yet for some reason, I wasn’t. Maybe because it’s on Hallmark, so it’s easy to forget when it’s on. Just like with the Good Witch series. I’ve enjoyed all the movies and wanted to catch the TV show…I just never remembered it was on.

So what changed?

Netflix!

Yes, I’ve had Netflix for a while now. But it recommended “When Calls the Heart” for me, so I decided to give it a chance. (It also recommended “The Good Witch” series, so I’m sure I’ll finally be able to catch up on that as well).




Anyway, I’ve just watched the first episode so far but I hope to dive into the rest soon. The story is set in a small coal mining town in Canada during the 19th century. Elizabeth Thatcher (Erin Krakow) travels to the town in order to take up the vacant teaching position. Unfortunately, she is robbed on her way there and when she arrives, she is not warmly greeted by the women of the town. Abigail Stanton (Lori Loughlin), though, welcomes her and tries to get her to understand what she’s walking into.

There was an explosion at the mine not long ago and many of the children lost their fathers. So the women were hoping for an older woman, not some rich girl looking to have an adventure. Elizabeth insists that she’s a proper teacher and that she will be capable of teaching their children. The other women, though, don’t think so but agree to give her until the next stagecoach arrives—one week.

Elizabeth’s first night isn’t the greatest, though. She ends up burning down the house given to her and destroying her only dress. Abigail takes her in and gives her a dress while Elizabeth tries to stay positive. She goes to the saloon, which is currently doubling as the schoolhouse, and meets Canadian mountie Jack Thornton (Daniel Lissing). They have a pleasant conversation where Jack reveals he was just reassigned to this small town after originally landing a cushy job at a major city. When Elizabeth reveals she is from that city, his demeanor changes. He believes her father had him reassigned so he could protect her and blames her for losing his prestigious post. Jack is certain she won’t last the week and Elizabeth is determined to stick it to him.

However, school doesn’t seem to be going too well. Elizabeth struggles to get her students’ attention and then most of them leave as a whistle sounds. She tries to stop them but a young girl tells her that the whistle means they found the missing miners. Elizabeth takes the rest of the children up to the mines.

A miner emerges and says he found a last message from their fallen brothers. It says “Forgive me Pa.” All the widows start to claim it was written by their husband and so they should keep it. The mine owner insists it’s mine property and therefore his. The people almost riot when Jack rides up, introducing himself as the new law in town. He takes possession of the board, saying he’ll try to identify the writer in three days. Jack asks for samples of the miners’ handwriting and then rides off.

Elizabeth continues to struggle with one particular student, who has taken his father’s death hard. And she continues to butt heads with Jack. However, together, they manage to solve the mystery of who wrote the plank and realize that the other might not be so bad.

So far, so good in my opinion. Elizabeth and Jack are intriguing leads and Aunt Becky is there! Everyone loves Aunt Becky, right? Krakow and Lissing have great chemistry together so far and I’m sure I can smell an “enemies to friends to lovers” plot.

I can’t wait to continue watching. So many shows, so little time. 

No comments: