Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hairspray 2?

Okay, I love "Hairspray"--both the 88 movie, 2003 musical and 07 movie. I thought they were all well-done, and the latter two had some great songs. However I shuddered when I saw this as the top story on Playbill Online. A sequel? Why? I think the story wrapped up nice and neat. What could they conquer next? Velma's revenge? Tracy joining the hippie movment? I honestly don't know where the story will go.

Well, at least they are planning the sequel as a movie and not a musical. Musical sequels don't work--Bring Back Birdie, The Best Little Whorehouse Goes Public, Annie Warbucks. This is one reason why I don't think Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom sequel will do well either (the other reasons later). But then again, making a sequel to such a good, beloved, campy movie like Hairspay may not fly well either. Grease 2, anyone?

Though...Grease 2 is in the so bad, it's good category. My sister and I love to watch it for that reason. And "I'll Be Your Girl for All Seasons" and "Turn Back (The Hands of Time)" are pretty good. "Reproduction"? Not so much. And it might be hard to get Michelle Pfeffer back for a sequel--she was in Grease 2 after all.

No comments: