Saturday, July 26, 2008

London Calling

This past week, Samantha Brown's Passport to Great Weekends sent my favorite traveler to London for a weekend. And it made me miss London even more. It was great to see the city again and I admit I geeked out a bit when they showed sites I had been to (like a brief flash of the Millennium Bridge. My class and I crossed that bridge a hundred times while in London). She went to a few places I had been to as well. Brown went to the Tate Modern, which a group of us went to. Everyone had been praising the Tate Modern so much, I was excited to go until I got in. It was then that the fact it was modern art hit me. I'm not the biggest fan of modern art. In fact, I'm that person who is standing there while everyone says "I see a cloud. I see a mother crying over her lost child" thinking, "It's a gray lump. I can do a gray lump and you don't see me calling it art." But there were a few Impressionist paintings and a Degas ballerina, so I enjoyed those. And the Pop Art section too. Brown also went running through Hyde Park, which I became familiar with as my hotel was just down the block. It is so beautiful. If anyone goes, check out the fountains. The British love their fountains.

Brown also went to New Hampshire, but I missed it. Hopefully I'll catch it again. I also hope they send Samantha to Boston before I go in a couple of weeks. Maybe she'll give me some ideas on where to go!

No comments: