Tuesday, March 23, 2021

March Broadway Madness: Wild Card Round

Let’s start with our “Wild Card” entries. I will evaluate the two musicals and choose one to advance to Round 1.

“Wild Card” Round – Nederlander Conference A

Mary Poppins v. Rent


Well, this is a weird match up – two musicals that probably couldn’t be more different! But I did see both twice, so they do have that in common!

Mary Poppins: It was a Disney production and Disney certainly knows how to pull out the stops. And it was based on one of their most beloved movies though also heavily inspired by the books. In addition to the memorable songs from the movie, new songs were added that rounded out the story and felt like they fit right in. The choreography was truly amazing and “Step in Time” was a true showstopper even before Bert went “over the rooftops.” And of course, it was well known that Mary Poppins took flight – though that was best experienced in the mezzanine rather than the orchestra. My only two quibbles was the elimination of “I Love to Laugh” from the movie and then in between my viewings of it, the song “Temper Temper” was eliminated. I enjoyed the song though I understood it was removed because it was frightening children (in the song, Michael and Jane are shrunk down to the size of their toys, which then put them on trial for being abusive to them due to their own tempers). Overall, it didn’t hurt the production and it was still a fun musical for all ages.

Rent: What a contrast to Mary Poppins – and not just because of the plot! Whereas Disney pulled out the stops with lavish sets and spectacles, Rent was more minimal. A steel structure served as many things and there were only a few other items, the second biggest part of the set a folding table. Someone didn’t fly overhead. Instead, the plot tugs on the heartstrings. It’s a story about found family and the struggles of trying to survive in a world that seems against you. It addressed AIDS though it was one of many projects humanizing the disease. Rent, however, became a cultural phenomenon and really caught the public’s attention. But there is still the lingering doubts about if Rent would’ve blown up so much if creator Jonathan Larson hadn’t tragically died before the first off-Broadway performance. Or would it have only gotten better because he could’ve continued to fine tune it? Because there are some problems with the story and the characters and there is the troubling undercurrent of “true artists suffer and starve for their art” in the plot in addition to “No day but today”. However, Rent continues to live on and continues to inspire new generations to this day with its story and characters.

Winner: It was a tough call but after writing everything down, I think I have to give the win to Rent.


 “Wild Card” Round – Nederlander Conference B

Hello, Dolly! v. Frozen


Hello, Dolly!: Hello, Dolly! is an absolute classic and just a fun romp. I saw it with Donna Murphy, who absolutely killed the role. Her voice is amazing and her comedic timing was on point, definitely needed in such a role like this. She also acted well opposite David Hyde Pierce, who brought some warmth to Horace. One could see why Dolly was pursuing him – and not just for his money. The other foursome were amazing too – no wonder Gavin Creel won a Tony for his performance as Cornelius. Jerry Herman’s music stays with you and the dancing, especially during the Harmonia Gardens scenes, was top form. I had hoped to see Bernadette Peters in the role but it was not to be. But I have the memory of Donna Murphy singing “Before the Parade Passes By” and that suits me just fine.

Frozen: It seemed to be a no brainer that Disney would cash in on Frozen and turn it into a musical. And it was a very good adaptation that I enjoyed watching, even if how they decided to portray Olaf was a bit…distracting. The music is absolutely gorgeous and added some great songs – especially “Monster” for Elsa and “True Love” for Anna. It once again brought Disney magic to the theater and was a lovely way to spend the afternoon. But in the rankings of Disney musicals, I wouldn’t put it too high.

Winner: Not as hard a call as Conference A. I’m going to have to give it to Hello, Dolly!

“Wild Card” Round – Shubert Conference Group A

The Addams Family v. The Wedding Singer

The Addams Family: They conquered comics. They conquered TV. They conquered movies. Adult Wednesday Addams was very popular on YouTube before getting shut down. So it was only a matter of time before they tried to conquer Broadway. It was a nice musical where the wacky family met a family trying to suppress their eccentricities rather than embrace them. Chaos ensues as Wednesday and the son try to get married. There were some good songs and some good laughs but I’m not entirely sure the show lived up to what we expect from The Addams Family.

The Wedding Singer: I honestly only went to this show because it was being offered by my college and figured “Why not?” And I ended up loving it! The music was catchy and really captured the 80s. And the acting was amazing  - I didn’t get to see Laura Benanti but her understudy shone brightly. And Amy Spangler was amazing as well. This show has really stayed with me and I hope someone decides to revive it soon.

Winner: This one was also pretty easy. I’m giving it to The Wedding Singer.

“Wild Card” Round – Shubert Conference Group B

Gigi v. Spamalot

Gigi: This was a fun romp with a really cringy opening song. (“Thank Heaven for Little Girls” is a groomer’s and abuser’s theme song). But ignoring the undertones of that song and the fact that the title character is being raised to be a rich man’s mistress, there’s still a pretty good story underneath where two people finally decide to ignore what the world says they should be and pursue what will make them happy. Vanessa Hudgens was a delight in the title role and I loved watching both Victoria Clarke and Howard McGillin as well. And this is the show that first introduced me to Stephanie Styles AKA Autumn on Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist. So definite bonus points for that.

Spamalot: When I saw Spamalot, I then had to help my friend give his girlfriend a crash course on the Arthurian legends because she had never heard of King Arthur before and was a little lost. This was a fun show that I think resonates more with you if you’re a fan of Monty Python. But it was filled with a lot of jokes, some good songs and good performances. I saw Marin Mazzie as the Lady of Lake (only a couple months after seeing her as Guinevere in a concert performance of Camelot) and she was amazing in it. But the songs made your toes tap and I still get a chuckle out of some of the jokes.

Winner: This is a bit harder but I think one edges the other out and I have to give it to Spamalot.

So that ends our Wild Card Round! A big thanks to Mary Poppins, Frozen, The Addams Family and Gigi for the memories they gave me but it’s time to say goodbye to them.

Agree? Disagree? Let me know in the comments below! 

Next time: Round 1 Nederlander Group A!

No comments: