Saturday, March 27, 2021

March Broadway Madness: Round 1 Shubert Conference Group B

This is our last group of Round 1! Once I make these final four calls, our Sweet 16 will be set and I’m sure things are going to get tougher for me to decide.

But let’s get through Group B of the Shubert Conference and then I can worry about that!

Here we go!

Moving Out v. Spamalot

Moving Out: I saw this musical twice and I definitely needed to do so. It’s really a ballet set to the music of Billy Joel, telling the story of five friends as they graduate high school and go through the tumultuous 60s and 70s through his music and dance. It was very beautiful but during my first viewing I had to keep glancing at my Playbill to follow along with the story (they had the plot printed in the Playbill). So when I went back to see it, I was able to just sit back and enjoy everything else. So it loses points for being a bit hard to follow at first but it does have Billy Joel music. And Billy Joel’s music is awesome.

Spamalot: This seems to be almost the exact opposite of Moving Out. It’s more commercial than “artistic” (only in quotes because art is so subjective, who is to say Spamalot isn’t art?) and more silly than serious. But it’s definitely easier to understand, even if you aren’t a fan of Monty Python.

Winner: I went back and forth on this. As I’ve said earlier, the only criteria is really my own opinion so I’m going to go with my gut and give it to Moving Out.

The Phantom of the Opera v. Tarzan

The Phantom of the Opera: This is the longest running musical on Broadway and right now, probably the show most associated with Broadway (though Hamilton is probably up there too). It captivates the audience’s imagination – a masked man haunting the opera house and in love with a beautiful soprano, whose own heart is stolen by a handsome nobleman. There’s magic, mystery, romance, comedy, tragedy and fight scenes. And, of course, a giant chandelier that comes crashing down to end Act One. It’s music has lasted the test of time and might be some of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s best work. It absolutely is timeless and I can’t imagine Broadway without that iconic half mask.

Tarzan: This is probably my least favorite of the Disney musicals. I think Tarzan was always going to be difficult to adapt to the stage and while the music is beautiful, it wasn’t enough to save it. There’s not much else I can say about it – it was really forgettable.

Winner: This is pretty easy – it goes to The Phantom of the Opera.

Godspell v. A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder

Godspell: This is one of my favorite musicals. It tells stories from the Gospels using fun skits and upbeat songs, though it does turn to the serious matter of the Passion at the end. I got to see the recent revival in Circle in the Square, which was an excellent place for it. And it had an amazingly talented cast, including Telly Leung and Lindsay Mendez. I absolutely enjoyed myself the entire time and have fond memories from my trip to see it.

A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder: My mom and I saw this before it closed and we loved it. Jefferson Mays absolutely killed all his roles in this and we got a good laugh that the first few rows had to be warned they were in a “splash zone.” Unfortunately, the music wasn’t as memorable as the characters to me and that does seem to be a problem for a musical.

Winner: Because the music is more memorable, I have to give it to Godspell.

Anastasia v. Jesus Christ Superstar

Anastasia: Not a Disney production (though I do think Disney now technically owns the movie) but a beautiful adaptation from film to stage. It changes quite a few things from the movie – namely it aligns more with history than the movie did and removes the more supernatural elements of the movie, so no undead Rasputin – but keeps what we all loved. Namely Anya and Dmitry’s relationship. The new songs added only enhanced the existing ones, though I am sad they never got a chance to work in “At the Beginning” into the musical. I absolutely loved it and hope that it gets revived someday.

Jesus Christ Superstar: My mom and I went to see the 2000 revival together. My aunt was supposed to join us but she never showed up. We only found out after the show ended it was because my grandmother ended up in the hospital. She ended up being fine but my dad didn’t let my mom hear the end of it (but in our defense, no one called us and my mom has had a cellphone since 1995). That’s the most memorable part of the day for me even though the musical was fine and I’ve enjoyed other productions of it – all filmed however.

Winner: Given that which musical was more memorable to me, I have to give it to Anastasia.

Well, there we go! The last eight musicals have learned their fates. Spamalot, Tarzan, A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder, and Jesus Christ Superstar leave the competition. How will Moving Out, The Phantom of the Opera, Godspell and Anastasia fare in the Sweet 16? Find out soon!

Do you agree with my Sweet 16? Disagree? Sound off in the comments below!

Next time: Round 2 begins with the Nederlander Conference.

No comments: