Tuesday, March 30, 2021

March Broadway Madness: Round 3 Nederlander Conference

Here we are at the Elite Eight! It’s amazing to me how I’ve narrowed down a field of 36 contenders and am now down to eight. I’m eager to see how these matches will play out. I thought I would rule one way when just eyeballing certain matches but then when I did deep dives, found myself changing my mind. I have a feeling it will happen a few more times before I crown a winner.

Like Round 2, this will focus more on comparing the two musicals rather than evaluating them individually.

Let’s get started!

Rent v. Wicked

Both of these musicals defined a generation, have songs that have lasted throughout the years, and made their marks on Broadway. And both count Idina Menzel in their original casts. But I feel one is more timeless in its appeal and story while the other is a nostalgic and maybe rose-colored look back at a slice of life during a certain time. It still has some timeless messages but I think it really appeals more to theater people than the other. And one has definitely stuck with me more than the other.

Winner: Wicked!


The Sound of Music v. Beauty and the Beast

Ooh, battle of the sentimental favorites. One was my very first musical and so holds that special place in my heart. But I saw the other more than one and it’s one of my favorite musicals. I think this is going to come do to which one I have more of a sentimental attachment too and I think, no doubt, that’s clear by now.

Winner: Beauty and the Beast!

There we go! Wicked and Beauty and the Beast will go head-to-head to determine who will represent the Nederlander Conference in the Finals! Which one will be triumphant? Find out soon!

And congrats to Rent and The Sound of Music for making it this far!

Has this changed who you think will win? Who do you think will make it from the Shubert Conference? Let me know in the comments below!

Next time: We turn to the Shubert Conference to crown the other two members of the Final Four!

No comments: