Saturday, December 10, 2011

Celtic Thunder: LIVE! AGAIN!

So, I got to see Celtic Thunder again!

I always knew I want to go to one of the 2011 concert dates. But the question was when? Living where I do, I could go to either the one in Manhattan or a few in New Jersey. I wanted to see the Christmas show though, which narrowed it to New Jersey. I rounded up some friends and got tickets for the night performance at the Wellmont Theater in Montclair, NJ. Then a friend got sick so I asked my aunt to come.

I drove to the theater, which was only about a half hour away from my house. Though there was some traffic by Newark caused by a car crash closing a lane. And then my GPS wanted me to turn, but the police had blocked off the street. (I correctly surmised that was where the buses were parked). Then I had to find parking, which was harder than trying to find a spot in Astoria. We finally found one and I got a call from a friend who lives in Jersey and was meeting us there. I thought it was the “Where are you?!” call, but she was calling to let us know SHE just found a parking spot as well.

Fortunately, they delayed the show so I didn’t miss anything. And let me just say, my seats were excellent. When the lads came out, they were actually life-sized! And I could see their faces! Which made it easier to stare lovingly at them. And yes, my boyfriend was next to me the entire time.


So, it was advertised as “Heritage/Christmas,” but the first act was really “Christmas.” The show opened with all six lads singing “Silent Night,” which made me happy. I love their arrangement. And I always knew Neil started the second verse and that they changed it up for the DVD release! Also, Daniel Furlong’s soprano voice added a nice lilt to the arrangement. Now, I may not remember every song—and the program is no help. They’ve changed things up. So I’ll do my best.

Neil was our first soloist with “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas.” And he sounded great as always. Keith followed with “Last Christmas.” I’ll repeat my sentiment from my review of the DVD—it’s a shame they gave him the most covered Christmas songs (he returned later in the show with “All I Want For Christmas is You,” almost driving out that Mariah Carey/Justin Bieber music video abomination from my head. Almost). I would’ve liked to hear him sing something else, something that isn’t overplayed by the time they start playing the Christmas music.

Emmet took over Paul’s “Ave Maria” and also sang “Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow.” I must say that I do not see him as Paul’s replacement, just the new guy in the show. After seeing him live, I must say he is a wonderful addition to the show. Daniel doesn’t have a large role in this act, singing “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” What does it have to do with Christmas? I don’t know, but he sings it beautifully. After all, I still don’t know why “My Favorite Things” is considered a Christmas song or “When You Wish Upon a Story” as well. Speaking of which, Neil sang it and it was just as beautiful and irrelevant as “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.”

George rocked the house with “I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday” while Ryan caused many of us in the audience to swoon with “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.” If they sang more, I do not recall. I am glad they sang “Christmas 1915,” which is hauntingly beautiful. They finished with a lovely rendition of “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year/We Wish You a Merry Christmas.”

All told, the first act was about 40 minutes long. There was a 20 minute “interval” (intermission for us Americans) before “Heritage” began. They began by singing “Deus Meus” (My God) before moving on to “Dulaman.” The song is about a young man trying to convince a seaweed farmer to let him marry the farmer’s daughter.

Some of the old Heritage classics are in here. George sings “Red, Rose CafĂ©” while Ryan returns with “Black is the Color.” Someone must’ve heard my plea in my Heritage review as Keith returns with an open shirt this act. He sings “The Dutchman” and is joined by Neil for “Whiskey in the Jar.” Neil also gets to sing “Noreen” again. Emmett also sings “Kindred Spirits” from the album. I am slowly coming to love his voice.

Daniel had some great interaction with the other lads. He performed “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” from Toy Story with Keith accompanying on ukulele. Daniel kept insisting that Keith had a friend in him, which…didn’t impress Keith. Ryan got the crowd rocking with “Friends in Low Places.” He even returned to the all-black get up of his Dark Destroyer persona.

In my opinion, George stole the show with his performance of Cat Stevens’ “Cats in the Cradle.” I hope he releases it…Or maybe I should double check his CD. Anyway, the lads had some great group songs, including “A Place in the Choir.” They also had a song that I don’t know the name to but what my boyfriend dubbed the “Drunk Song.” Daniel of course was not in this number, but the other five were hilarious. Neil and Ryan, especially. I had tears rolling down my eyes when Neil was performing. Finally, George was really rolling his “r’s” and I thought I was going to die from laughing.

Of course, the band was excellent as always. The harpist also danced during their instrumental number. She wasn’t Zora, but she was pretty good. After that, the six lads came out in their kilts for “Ireland’s Call.” Sadly, the kilts don’t swish as high as they used to. But the new arrangement was brilliant.

Did I miss Paul and Damian? A little. But the six members were wonderful enough to make me forget the missing members. Though I will forever be a Byrom Babe, I do need a new favorite member of the group. And it’s a difficult decision given everyone’s talent. George is the life of any concert. Keith is absolutely amazing to watch. Emmet is a great addition and I look forward to hearing more from him. My aunt absolutely adored Daniel. It was wonderful having Ryan back on stage and he looked like he was definitely enjoying himself. And I’ve been waiting for Neil to be promoted to full-time member since “It’s Entertainment.”

So, I think Ryan and Neil have to duke it out a bit in my head for the top spot. Though to be honest, I think Neil has a slight edge. I got myself a stuffed bear from the merchandise table. I debated over who to name him after. Then I had a dream that Neil appeared in and I took it as a sign. So I named the bear after him.


My Neil bear with a picture of his namesake from the program I bought. (What? I collect the Broadway ones!)

After the show, we all walked back to our respective cars (we ended up parking about a block away from each other). And I think I had a few more converts.

So…When’s the next Celtic Thunder tour?

1 comment:

Celtic Thunder Tickets said...

I have almost complete collection of Celtic content in form of CD's but its always fun to have live performance. Live action is treat to watch with fun and excitement.