Friday, June 10, 2011

The Glee Project: First Impressions

So, I can’t get enough of The Glee Project finalists’ version of “Firework.” Seriously, I’m surprised YouTube doesn’t just play it when I sign in. I’ve also seen the “Meet the Contestant” spots (courtesy of Playbill). Of course, those only allow them about thirty seconds of air time.

I am basing this on their performances and personas in the video(s). Things may change as I watch the show.

(Impressions based by appearance in the video)

Marissa: She reminds me of Elizabeth Gilles, who plays Jade on Nick’s “Victorious.” I like her voice and her look. I can see her as a new cheerleader at McKinley High. Since we know Sue will always try to break up New Directions from the inside no matter how many times it doesn’t work, Marissa could play the new plant.

Or she could get cast on Victorious as Jade’s sister who also now attends Hollywood Arts and gives Jade a run for her money.

Samuel: In his “Meet the Contestant” spot, he said he could imagine himself playing the rocker whose band breaks up so he joins Glee. And I love that storyline. For some reason, I imagine Puck knowing him. However, from “Firework,” I can not hear a rocker quality in his voice. Maybe in the series proper.

McKynleigh: To be honest, I found her the weakest of the girls in the music video. In the “Meet the Contestant” spot, she was asked what set her apart. She replied “Country.” Granted, she can’t really show off such roots in a Katy Perry song. Hopefully, she can in the series or I may have to write her off.

Damian: Okay, to be fair, I have more knowledge of Damian’s talents than any of the other contestants. However, there isn’t much acting involved in a Celtic Thunder show as they never toured “Storm.” He will most likely be a transfer student and there is endless comedy in that—just look at Fez from “That 70’s Show.” I would also love it if “Glee” opted to use some traditional Irish songs for Damian. I could see them doing a “cultural” day and the Glee kids having to sing songs from their culture. It would be great to hear Damian actually since in Irish.

Hannah: I love her smile. I think I need to hear more of her voice as she seemed to have gotten only a few lines this go around. She does look like she’ll be a good counterpart for Lauren—one has a tough exterior, while another has a happy-go-lucky personality.

Cameron: He’s adorable. What can I say, I’m a sucker for guys in glasses, amongst other things. I can see someone helping him after a slushee attack and overhearing him sing. I can’t wait to see more of him in the show.

Lindsay: So far, she’s my favorite of the girls. I love her look and I love her voice. In the video, her yearbook picture reads “Most Likely to Start a Charity.” I think it would be interesting to have a social crusader in the cast of characters. I can imagine her joining glee because either her parents force her too or because it will look good on her college applications. She might even be a rival for Rachel.

Alex: On the Television Without Pity boards, they’ve nicknamed him Kurtcedes. And it fits. He has the presence of Mercedes and the range of Kurt. That is going to be his strength. It’s also going to be his weakness. Amber Riley and Chris Colfer are beloved and play their roles extremely well (Colfer’s Kurt was written for him, after all). Alex may not be able to push them aside and become extraneous.

Ellis: She looks young. I can sympathize with that. However, that will be her great advantage along with her voice. After all, the Glee kids will be seniors next year. Brittany may end up left back for obvious reasons while Puck will probably skirt by the skin of his teeth. New Directions needs some fresh, young members to take over. And she can fill that role perfectly.

Matheus: Like McKynleigh is the weakest girl to me, Matheus is the weakest boy to me. And he is given the most to work with. I’m going to reserve further judgment for the series proper.

Emily: Okay, my very, very first thought when I saw her was “Hello, Santana’s rival!” Other than that, nothing much from there. Like Matheus, I think I have to wait until the series proper for a stronger opinion on Emily.

Bryce: His voice is decent, but he seems to be a carbon copy of people we already have on the show. He’d most likely just be another jock and I don’t think Glee needs another one.

And I think there is the main question on everyone’s mind: What are the romantic possibilities?

I read that Ryan Murphy said that if a guy won the show, he would be considered a romantic possibility for Mercedes. I am not entirely sure how far into the season the international viewings are, so I won’t spoil too much. But there is a scene in the season finale that throws this into question.

I can see Samuel, Damian and Cameron as possible love interests for Quinn. The former two would fit her typical pattern, even if they aren’t on the football team. No really, ever notice how all of Quinn’s boyfriends have been on the football team? I think Cameron would be the most intriguing love interest. Quinn, who has been concerned about popularity for the show’s run, falls for a nerd. It would be a great arc, especially since I love Dianna Agron and want a decent Quinn storyline.

I read sometime ago that Mike and Tina were soon to break up. If that is true, I can see Bryce as well as Samuel as possible love interests for Tina.

On the other side, I can see Emily trying to seduce all the men in New Directions. She may even serve as a catalyst to breaking up Mike and Tina. Ellis looks too young, but she may have potential with another underclassmen recruit. If there are any. Hannah might make a good rival to Lauren for Puck’s heart or even Sam, depending. I can see both Marissa and Lindsay romancing Sam or maybe Artie or Mike. Marissa could also romance Finn as part of Sue’s plans. Because Sue’s other go-to plan is to undermine Rachel in some way.

As for Alex, I can see him either being a friend for Kurt or for Mercedes. Kurt needs an openly gay friend in McKinley as Blaine is still at Dalton. However, I believe Kurt’s soul mate is Rachel. They share the same goals, dreams and vocal range. Mercedes needs someone like Alex to counterbalance it. Kurt now has Blaine and is growing closer to Rachel. Mercedes may feel a little left out and reach out to Alex.

And those are my first impressions. They are going to change, naturally, as the series progresses. But let’s see by how much. 

No comments: