Sunday, June 15, 2008

Lullaby of Broadway

Well, let me start with a bit of a confession: I wasn't that excited about this Broadway season. I didn't go into the season looking forward to a certain production and as the season continued, nothing else really sparked my interest. Fortunately, next season doesn't look the same (I suggest everyone get ready for [title of show] now) but I'm still an avid watcher of the Tony Awards. I'm not going to do a blow by blow, but just the musical numbers. (A list of winners will follow in a separate post).

The Lion King (Circle of Life)

Now that's how you kick off an awards show! The Disney musical is celebrating it's 10th year on Broadway and is still going strong. This number proved it. The costumes, the music, the performances all made it one spectacular opening. Let's hope the show keeps the momentum.

Having host Whoopi Goldburg come out in a lobster suit was genius. I've missed having a host for the Tony Awards and I think she'll be brilliant.

Cry Baby (Upset)

Could Cry Baby pull off an upset? I must say, I loved Hairspray and after seeing this number, I'm thinking I might enjoy John Waters' second musical offering. The tune was catchy, the performances were fantastic and the dancing just blew me away.

Also, John Waters shout to any Tony fans in jail was brilliant. You know there is someone somewhere hiding in some prison's dark corner watching the awards ceremony and trying not to get caught. Either that, or they are all in the cafeteria somewhere cheering that they were mentioned.

Passing Strange (Keys)

Passing Strange has a new fan. I found myself tapping along from the moment the music started to the moment it ended. Also, the story sounds universal: someone trying to figure out what they want to be in a world where everyone is telling you what you should be. And the music and the lyrics...I may also now be a Stew convert.

Gypsy (Everything's Coming Up Roses)

A classic Broadway song performed by one of Broadway's best leading ladies--Patti Lupone. This should be good. And this number rightly received a standing ovation. I absolutely love Lupone--she has such a great voice. And this is someof Sondheim's best lyrics and who doesn't love that Jules Styne score? If you've never heard the Gypsy Overture, I suggest you track it down. The opening chords send a chill down your spine.

I am wondering now after that Phantom of the Opera bit, how many times Goldburg is going to remind us she won a Tony. Seriously. Oh well, at least they are trying to involve more of the other Broadway shows.

South Pacific (Melody: Nothin' Like a Dame, Some Enchanted Evening, I'm in Love, I'm in Love, I'm in Love)

Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II redefined the American musical with "Oklahoma" and they kept churning out classic musical after classic musical. "South Pacific" is one of their best, taking place on a small Pacific Island during the war. This rival at Lincoln Center looks to be spectacular. There was an article in the New York Times the other day that said it was going to come down between South Pacific and Gypsy in the Best Revival of a Musical and they are right. Both are well-loved musicals who have received excellent stagings from what I have seen in their Tony performances. However, I'm afraid that Kelli O'Hara--as talented as she is--stands no chance against Patti Lupone for a Tony. Viva la Patti!

Grease (Grease and We'll Always Be Together)

Mentioned in an earlier post, I got sucked into the reality-show-to-cast-a-musical genre with Grease: You're the One That I Want. So I was pretty excited to see this performance of Grease, introduced by original Danny Barry Bostwick (bet you didn't know that!). These are songs we've all sung to at one point or another and tonight had pretty good performances of them. Max and Laura seem to be doing well and the dance routine they performed during Together--WOW! Though, Kathleen Marshall seemed to have hijacked some of the choreography from the movie. "Grease Lightning" I can understand--everyone can do that dance. But the one from "We'll Always Be Together"? Come on!

And Now, the "We Weren't Nominated But The Theatre Wing Is Still Letting Us Perform" trio!

The Little Mermaid (Part of Your World)

Kinda hard to base off such a short performance. Part of Your World is such a Disney classic that it's hard hearing someone that's not Jodi Benson singing it, but Sierra Bogess does a good job of making the song her own. I will eventually see that musical as "The Little Mermaid" is my sister's favorite Disney movie. I'm still bitter over the fact they closed my favorite "Beauty and the Beast" for this show.

A Catered Affair (Vision)

My mom declared her love for Faith Prince and I can see and hear why. It was a beautiful song performed by a beautiful voice.

Young Frankenstein (Deep Love)

A song about a man's dick sung by Karen Walker...I mean Megan Mullaly. Pretty good. I'm still not seeing Young Frankenstein unless the movie is on TV. Sorry, Mel Brooks.

In the Heights (96,000)

You know, if I won the lottery, I'd take the money and go on a world sightseeing tour. I'd go visit theaters in a whole bunch of different countries. Or I'd buy a second home to live in England. That would be nice. Now, onto the performance. Wow. I've heard only good things about In the Heights and this proved why. Now, I'm not a big fan of rap and seeing a musical filled with it is not my idea of a good time, but the way the rap is mixed with the other musical styles doesn't bother me. And Lin-Manuel Miranda (already a Tony Award winner early tonight) is just adorable and talented. I'm rooting for In the Heights now!

Sunday in the Park With George (Move On)

Once again, let me proclaim my love for Stephen Sondheim. It's hard not to appreciate his music and his lyrics and Sunday in the Park With George is no different. I can see why they transferred this British production here to America and I think Jenna Russell is absolutely superb. Though the tune for most of her (Dot's) lines came straight from "Into the Woods." Don't try to fool me Sondheim, I know it! Oh well, he's only stealing from himself. And bravo, good sir, on your Honorary Tony.

Upset! Okay, not really. But in the South Pacific v. Gypsy slugfest, South Pacific just walked away with the Tony for Best Revival. After all the other wins, I thought Gypsy would get the big nod. Well, I'm sure Rodgers and Hammerstein are patting each other on the back up in Heaven.

Xanadu (Don't Walk Away)

I'm sorry Xanadu, but it's going to take more than that performance to get me to come see your show. I've seen the movie. I know how horrible it is. I love the music and I'll buy the CD, but see it? No way, Jose! Anyway, I love Cheyenne Jackson and Kerry Butler. And I must give that woman props for doing the show in roller skates. Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman look like they steal the show every night. And I love the fact they stuck Tony Randall out in the audience to sing his part. The guys sitting next to him were like "Great, we end up with the lucky seats."

Rent (La Vie Boheme and Seasons of Love)

It is such a shame that this wonderful, amazing musical is ending it's fantastic run after 12 years this September. I've seen it twice and each time blew me away. And if you haven't seen it--you have the summer to do so. And if you can't get to New York, wait for either a tour or the filmed final performance when it comes to a movie theater near you. La Vie Boheme always makes me want to get up and dance as well as be proud of being a writer, someone who creates, myself. And who hasn't shed a tear at Seasons of Love, such a poignant yet joyful song? And you can tell the show is much beloved: Marisa Tomei was jumping up and down in her seat, Patti Lupone was clapping along and looked like she was about to cry, and several were singing along. And it was great to see the original cast, whom I all love--Anthony Rapp, Adam Pascal, Taye Diggs (What was with the bow tie?), Idina Menzel, Daphne Ruben-Vega and others. One question: Did anyone see Jesse L. Martin? Cause I sure didn't.

And Patti just won the Tony, like I knew she would! Congrats, Patti. And what a great speech: "Shut up, I've been waiting 28 years to do this!" What a way to end it! I hope to see her back on Ugly Betty soon!

WOOT! In the Heights just took home the night's top prize. Congrats Lin-Manuel Miranda and your awesome cast and crew. I'll be there as soon as I can! After all, I've seen the Best Musicals of the past five years. Why stop now?

No comments: