Friday, July 6, 2012

Celtic Thunder Voyage II

It’s Celtic Thunder time again! So, some people may be curious as to why there is a part II to Voyage. Well, Sharon Browne has explained it. And it all boils down to how royalties work in the US. So while the show itself is about two hours, in order to turn a profit, it had to be split into two DVDs. So, we have Voyage II!


This DVD opens with “Song for the Mira,” performed by George Donaldson, Keith Harkin, Neil Byrne, Emmet Cahill and Daniel Furlong. The more I hear the song, the more I like it. This go around, they opt for suits. And I must say they look quite dapper in them. The DVD continues with Neil singing “Hallelujah.” It’s even more haunting then his rendition on “It’s Entertainment” and he sings most of it solo. Keith and Emmet come out to sing the last part with him.


This goes straight to “Cat’s in the Cradle” sung by George. This was one of my favorite performances when I saw them live and it’s no different here. Emotional, you can’t help but watch him as he performs. This is followed though by “My Irish Molly O” sung by Emmet. While it’s the fun romp I wanted to see Emmet sing (and am disheartened that it was not in the live show when I saw it), it doesn’t match the mood already created by “Cat’s in the Cradle.”  But Emmet’s performance shows off his vocal prowess well. And he’s finally relaxed and having fun on stage!


Neil comes out next to sing “She’s Always a Woman.” I have been thrilled to bits that Neil has gotten a promotion to principle soloist. So I love watching him sing. While it’s poppy, it’s also slower tempo-ed. It’s a good transition into the next song. “Danny Boy” is sung by George, Emmet, Keith, Neil, Daniel and Ryan Kelly. Once again, it is sung a cappella. However, the last time they performed it, Damian’s voice had already started to deepen. This time they have Daniel’s sweet soprano. It enhances the melancholy aspect of the song, in my opinion.


From the silence of “Danny Boy” we go to the rock and roll of “Whiskey in the Jar.” Keith and Neil return with their guitars to perform this. Sadly, the shirt from “Heritage” doesn’t come with Keith. But the suits do look sharp. Keith remains on stage, though swapping out his guitar for what appears to be a ukulele. Daniel pops out, singing the charming “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” from Disney/Pixar’s “Toy Story.” They have some funny moments in this song as the set up is that Keith doesn’t want Daniel’s friendship at all. But there are moments where Keith looks ready to burst out laughing. The two do handle some choreography on the steps well.


Another favorite returns as George sings “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles).” The audience claps and sings along with him. Someone in the audience even has a sign that reads “Da-da-da-da!” They hold it up accordingly. George just has so much fun performing this song. And the good time continues with Ryan’s rendition of “Friends in Low Places.” It’s a good number to follow “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” and once again, the audience sings along. The others (sans Daniel) join him on stage for the last chorus. Well, Neil had been on stage for the song, playing with the band. Ryan even gave him a shout out!


With everyone on stage, they go to the highlight of the DVD—“Seven Drunken Nights.” No matter how many times I see it, I laugh hysterically each time. The lads have fun with this number. Each sings a verse, though Keith and Emmet do not act as drunk as the other three. But they sure do play “guilty” very well. Though I will use this time to address something I noticed in “Voyage” (both parts). More and more, the lads are playing their own instruments. For a long time, we only saw Keith play. Even when Neil started singing solos, he often put down his guitar to do so. But in Voyage, we’ve seen Neil and Keith play together. Ryan had a guitar for “Friends in Low Places” and George had one for “Cat’s in the Cradle.” And I love it! Dear Sharon, more of this please! x Me


We slow down again as Keith sings “All Out of Love.” It’s a beautiful song and complements his voice well. He also enjoys showing off, I can tell. From here, we go to Emmet singing “This is the Moment” from “Jekyll and Hyde.” It’s a gorgeous song and I have about three versions of it on my iPod, including Emmet’s. (The others are Robert Cuccioli from the original Broadway cast recording and Paul Byrom from his recent CD). Everyone, including Daniel, return to sing “Place in the Choir.” It’s as fun as it was on “Heritage” though George doesn’t quite get as low as Damian did.


The lads take their bows before leaving the stage. The band gets their moment to shine in “Dream Teller/Fantasy.” It’s a gorgeous musical piece that allows everyone to show off. This is one number I remember from when I saw the concert. Seana’s dancing is better up close. After the band takes their bows, the familiar chords start up. This is where “Ireland’s Call” comes in. It’s not a Celtic Thunder DVD unless this is in it (I’m still surprised they didn’t work it into “Storm” somehow). Ryan’s lines must ring more true to him now than ever before (and he has a good blend with Daniel). And of course, there are swishing kilts. Plus a very conveniently placed camera.


Once again, a great show by Celtic Thunder. I suggested owning both Voyage DVDs to get the full experience. Maybe even have a marathon! Ooh, I gave myself an idea.


A note: Ryan Kelly was sadly injured in an accident sometime around Father’s Day. Happily, he is on the mend and sent out a tweet to wish his American fans a happy 4th of July. I wish him continuing improvement and hope to see him on the road when I see them come October.

No comments: