Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Plea

Here's a sad story:

Back in 1990, The Disneyland Story aired to celebrate Disneyland's 35th anniversary. Hosted by Harry Anderson (Night Court), the special went through the history of the California theme park. It was a great special that also highlighted what would come in the parks. My family taped the special and we would watch it often. 

Well, one day after several years with the tape (which also held The Care Bears Movie II and Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer), it got taped over. We lost Rainbow Brite and The Disneyland Story ( The Care Bears Movie II we were able to keep) and the family was sad. We knew it was lost to the ages and every so often, scenes from the show creep into my mind and I get sad again. 

A couple years ago, I was able to get Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealers on DVD--a treasured piece of my childhood returned after an excited friend called me to tell me where to get it. It gave me hope that I might be able to get some other treasured childhood pieces returned to me as well. So, I took to the internet to see if a copy of The Disneyland Story was available. I knew it was a long shot as it had been just a TV special and surprisingly, Disney had never hinted at releasing. But I held out hope--Disneyland had just celebrated its 50th anniversary. There could've been a chance that the old special was released as part of the celebration. No such luck. 

And now comes my plea--either for those who read this or for the people at Disney. If you know where I can obtain a copy, please tell me. And if there isn't a copy--Dear Disney, Release it. Please? 

No comments: