Friday, August 8, 2008

Federal City

The Travel Channel has dedicated this week to Staycationers, those who are opting to stay close to home for their travel needs due to the economy and soaring gas prices. (There was report a week or so ago saying that auto-related deaths are down across the country. Gee, wonder why?) So, Samantha Brown's Great Weekends fits right in to this theme as she shows us how to have a good weekend in Washington DC.

She arrives in Georgetown and goes for a kayak ride. The river looks incredibly blue and offers a great shot of the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument. Next, she goes down to a neighborhood known for its jazz. Sam shows off her bar tending skills, making a sangria. Mmm, sangria. There are times I do worry for Sam as she is constantly in the alcohol on these shows. She next visits a restaurant where the people will feed you off their own plates. Samantha jokes that she is always asked for tips on how to save money on trips and this will be a new suggestion--go someplace where people feed you! The people laugh. Samantha visits an outdoor market that reminds me of the one I went to in Stratford-Upon-Avon. She finds a vendor selling books, including some naughty books. Next, Sam finds some interesting key holders and has some competition for one. She tells the other woman they have to duke it out and you can see the other woman thinking, "I can take you."

She goes to an open mic night to listen to some poetry, but doesn't recite any of her own. I'll admit I zoned out at this point--poetry isn't my cup of tea. On Sunday morning, Samantha goes for a popular brunch in Washington. She makes some friends at the buffet line, kinda flirting with the two men. Hello, Sam, you're married! But this isn't your ordinary buffet, no, this one comes with it's own drag queens! They perform songs, deshirt some guy and one is wearing the Jennifer Lopez dress. You know which one I'm talking about. You think these drag queens would update their costumes. Looks like they make enough money to. I once went to a drag show. In fact, we're cleaning our basement and I found the picture my French class and I took while there. It was great, though one girl and I spent the rest of the year debating whether or not one was actually a girl or not. Of course, we also went to Catholic school, so that wasn't part of the Quebec trip we told the administration about.

It looks like Sam had a lot of fun, but I must admit that I'm a history nut. Espcially American history. So while some people may enjoy wandering around these local spots, I'd be at the museums. In fact, I even recommend doing the International Spy Museum. It is a fun day (you need to budget a few hours to do the whole thing) and somethings are pretty interesting to learn. Like the whole section on spy gear you think are just props from a James Bond movie--except that they are actual tools of the trade. The museum also comes with a section dedicated to the history of the "world's second-oldest profession" and some of its most famous practicers. (My sister: "What's the world's oldest profession then?" Me: "Prostitution." Sister: "No, seriously." Dad: "No, it's prostitution.") I also suggest Ford's Theatre, especially if you are able to catch a presentation. We had a park ranger who was well-versed in the story and a gifted storyteller. I sometimes forget that there were no actors involved at ALL in the retelling, that's how vivid he was. And then don't forget to journey across the street to the House Where Lincoln Died. You try to figure out how they fit the tall president on such a small bed.

Oh, and did I mention that these last two places are free? (Sorry, the International Spy Museum isn't).

Well, I don't know where Sam will be going next week. I'll probably pick it up while watching something on the Travel Channel. It'll be a laugh if she's in Boston as I will be in Boston. And I'll be switching to a travel blog for the week--lucky you! And if you've actually been coming for my recaps of "Secret Life of an American Teenager," I'm afraid I'll have to skip next week. Sorry!

Anyone out there reading this? You going on vacation or have been on vacation? Want to tell me about it? Been to Boston? Want to tell me places I simply HAVE to go to? Share! I want to know!

No comments: