Friday, August 8, 2014

My New Obsession: Web Series

I love web series. And I’ve discovered my share in the past year and a half.

Starting with The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. I discovered this show on tumblr and was shocked to learn it existed. I’m an Austenite—you’d think I’d know about a Pride and Prejudice adaptation! So I went to YouTube and binge-watched all the available episodes. And then I continued watching each episode. Even the ones that were released in between, filling in gaps in the story. Like Lydia’s heartbreaking videos or Gigi’s heartbreaking videos. Yeah, these videos could take you on an emotional and angst-filled rollercoaster sometimes.




Then the same people who brought us the LBD gave us Welcome to Sanditon. Based off an unfinished Jane Austen story, the web series starred LBD’s Gigi Darcy as she went to the town of Sanditon to test out some new software. She spends the summer dealing with the town’s drama as she wrestles with her own life decision.


This was followed up by Emma Approved, a modern retelling of Jane Austen’s Emma. It’s still ongoing, but is being wrapped up soon. Like LBD, it’s had its light moments and its heartrending ones. I’ll be sad when it ends.



And while all I was obsessed with all of these, I discovered a theater one! Called “Submissions Only,” it follows the lives and careers of casting agent Tim Trull and his best friend/main reader Penny Reilly. The audience follows them as they navigate love, life and theater and has for three seasons so far.


This is just an overview. For the next four Fridays, I’m going to go into each show in depth. Keep your eyes out!

No comments: