Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Nostalgia Nook: Camp Nowhere

Ahh, Camp Nowhere. It wasn’t a critical darling. And I was a bit surprised when it popped in my mind. Camp Nowhere wasn’t exactly a movie I was clamoring to see as a child. Nor was it one I have ever really felt the urge to revisit. But it popped into my head. So, let’s take a look, shall we?

No Parents, No Counselors, No Rules but SPOILERS!


Morris “Mud” Himmel (Jonathan Jackson) doesn’t want to go to the computer camp his parents want to send him to. And his friends don’t want to go to the camps their parents want to send them to. So what do they do? Go to a pretend camp where they can have all the fun they want! Mud recruits some old guy played by Christopher Lloyd to pretend to be the counselor and a summer of freedom is theirs. But soon their parents want to come visit them while Lloyd’s past starts to catch up with him. What are they to do?

The movie featured several up-and-coming young actors at the time, including Jackson. He was growing popularity as Lucky on General Hospital and no doubt looking to make the move to movies. Andrew Keegan was also in the movie. Anyone else remember him? Here’s a picture to jog your memory:


Bring back anything? Anyway, the movie also marked Jessica Alba’s film debut.

I don’t remember much from the movie. Scenes from the kids partying and enjoying themselves. And when they pretended to be every camp the parents thought they had sent their children to when they gave in to demands for a parents’ day. I pretty much remember it being a romp many children envy—a summer of no rules, no adults. Freedom. Who doesn’t want that?

I wish I had more to say. Really, I do. But I guess I’ll leave it here. Oh well.

Next month: Pairings month!

No comments: