Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Guilty Pleasures!

The Nostalgia Chick recently released a list of her guilty pleasures and so I figured, what the heck? Here's my Top 10 movies, TV shows and musicals that I will admit to enjoying with a side helping of shame.


Shameful confessions after the jump:


10. "The Pirate Queen." The reason this is so low? Because I genuinely like it. But I know it's not something I would readily admit amongst other theater people. There are some problem songs, though there are some amazing ones as well (like "Woman" and "I'll Be There"). And Elizabeth I seems to be a problem--it's as if the writers didn't want her to show up only in Act II, but her introduction is awkward. Maybe if they tried to parallel the lives of the two women? The story needs work, but otherwise, I still love it.


9. "General Hospital." Yes, I only started watching it because of the One Life to Live characters that have migrated over. And they seem to be rehashing the Viki/Niki/Tess/Jess storyline with Kate/Connie. But I have found myself drawn to certain residents of Port Charles. I fell in love with Kelly Monaco on the E! reality show Dirty Soap and like Sam, even if I think she needs to think of herself rather than Jason once in a while. I also like Michael, Lulu, Patrick, Liz, and Alexis. So yes, I watch "General Hospital."


8. "Cinderella III: A Twist in Time." Usually, I think that the earlier the Disney movie, the least likely it should have a sequel. And Cinderella II seemed to prove it--though those were actually episodes of a failed Cinderella series. But Cinderella III had an actual plot and isn't too bad. Women's love-hate relationship with Cinderella has been touched on by Nostalgia Chick in her review of "Ever After." How Cinderella lets it all fall to chance and does little to get her happy ending. And Prince Charming probably does the least of all the Disney heroes. But Cinderella III lets them do it--fight for their happy ever after.


7. "Eragon." I know, I know. But it comes on and I watch it. I can't help myself. No, I haven't read the books. After watching the movie, I doubt I will. So why do I keep watching it? I think it is Jeremy Irons. God help him,   but he tries. Wise mentor with a mischievous streak is down pat. It's just not enough to save the movie. Even John Malkovich is phoning it in more than usual. So I usually just watch from when Irons enters until he leaves.


6. "Life Size." Before Tyra Banks got all ridiculous on "America's Next Top Model" and tried to make "smize" happen, she tried to have an acting career. "Life Size" is pretty much "Mannequin." The plot is that The Parent Trap-era Lindsay Lohan is a tomboy who gets a doll as a present. Upset over the recent death of her mother, she tries to resurrect her. Instead, she brings the doll to life. And what follows is what you probably would expect your Barbie to do if she should come to life. Goes shopping, does a variety of tasks and is all around perky. Slowly, Lohan and Banks teach other things the other needs to know--Lohan how to get past the loss of her mother, Banks how to be relevant as a doll. It's sweet and Banks isn't that bad.


5. "28 Days." Not the one with the zombies, the one with Sandra Bullock. She plays an alcoholic writer who is sent to rehab by the courts after a wild ride following her sister's wedding. And she meets a group of screwed up people, including one played by Mike O'Malley. Later, they are joined by Viggo Mortensen too, as a love interest opposite Dominic West. Yes, it's shown on either Oxygen or Lifetime and I admit it's an unapologetic chick flick. But it has a lot to say about people, relationships and choices if you get past this aversion to "chick flicks."


4. "VicTORIous." I'm not entirely sure why. My family and I have sat there watching it and found numerous plot holes. Like how Trina got into Hollywood Arts. Let me back it up. The show stars Victoria Justice as Tori Vega, a girl who goes to a high school for performing arts. There she meets an interesting assortment of friends: Andre, a talented musician; Beck, the popular guy; Jade, his girlfriend with a dark side; Cat, a girl who is Too Dumb to Live; Robbie, an awkward boy constantly put down by his own puppet Rex; and Trina, her annoying older sister. The series relies heavily on "Rule of Funny," pushing it to the point that the rule can't even explain some of their plots. But when they don't and let the episode be natural, the show can be funny and good.


3. "Nanny McPhee." Yes, I'm a bit old for family movies. But there's still a charm to them. Especially Emma Thompson's whimsical script.  She plays Nanny McPhee, an ugly woman who magically appears to help a widower (Colin Firth) with his 7 unruly children. Each time the children learn a lesson, her ugliness melts away. At the same time, their father is pressured to marry by their wealthy grand-aunt (Angela Lansbury). He picks a horrid yet desperate woman to marry though it is clear the scullery maid is in love with him. There are some truly funny scenes and the family is absolutely heartwarming. And I never need an excuse to stare at Colin Firth!


2. "Country Bears." Yes, Disney seemed to be scrapping the bottom of the barrel when they turned to their theme park attractions for movie ideas. Pirates turned out to be awesome. Even Disney likes to pretend The Haunted Mansion never happened. But the "Country Bears" gets lost in between. And I feel many Disney fans would love to forget this happened. Is the plot the best there is? Hardly. Are the cameos pointless? Not entirely, but I did enjoy Queen Latifah's. The thing is, you have to just embrace the campiness of the movie and that's when you'll enjoy it. Besides, the soundtrack isn't that bad.


1. "Grease 2." Does it compare to the original? Heck no. Are the songs comparable to "Summer Nights," "Hopelessly Devoted," and "You're the One That I Want"? Heck no. But there is just something that drives my sister and I to watch it. We even have some of the songs on our iPods. I think it's another case of "Just gotta embrace the camp." Michelle Pfeffer singing about how she wants a man on a motorcycle? A guy trying to get laid by pretending there is a nuclear war? The guy from the first movie still terrorizing the gang at Rydell High? A class singing about sex? It's a bit of a train wreck and you have to keep watching. And then watch it again--something just compels you. Besides, it's the movie that kept Michelle Pfeffer from doing movie musicals until "Hairspray." (Though "Love Will Turn Back the Hands of Time" is a pretty good song).


And that's my (shameful) list! Any guilty pleasures you want to own up to? 

No comments: