Sunday, September 28, 2008

Wanna Be On Top?

Yahoo! TV blog has a post written by Brian Gianelli entitled "Is 'Top Model' Even Trying Anymore?"

My answer: Not really.

I will state now that I think this group is one of the most talented I've seen yet on the show. But I agree that the show is going downhill. It seemed Tyra self-corrected with Cycle 10. She moved the show back to New York, sent them on some challenges, critiqued girls, etc. I know quite a few on the internet--myself included--felt that Tyra or one of her production staff realized that Cycle 9 was nothing more than joke. The backlash against Saleisha's win must've been a wake-up call. But did Whitney's win put them back into a feeling of complacency?

I came for the bitch fights and pictures. I ended up staying for the interesting study such a show makes in communication. Honestly, just look at the Hannah-Brittany-Isis debacle for a clear example of miscommunication and awkward social judgement. And occasionally, the pictures. However, the article makes a good point: "...with growing emphasis on the antics of the former supermodel and less focus on the aspiring wannabes." I think the Hannah-Brittany-Isis debacle has been the longest we've seen the girls in the house. Over the cycles, phone calls home have been shown less. I miss those as they gave some insight into both where a girl is coming from and where she is going.

Another point: "And did I need to know that her and her best friend hung out in a hot tub on vacation taking photos of each other and that inspired this week’s challenge? No." Well, I admit it made for a great story. Did I need a ten minute video of Tyra and said best friend in the pool? No! That cut out either valuable time in the house or before the panel. Is it just me or is panel now: Girl comes up, gets either good or bad praise, thanks the panel, go back. There was a time when they would linger more on the judges.

Anyone else remember the panel challenges? What happened to those? I'd rather have these girls try and sell me a chocolate bar than see home videos play past their novelty.

So, what does the show need to do? I think it's fallen into a rut and needs to shake itself out. I know the old saying is "if it isn't broke, don't fix it." And yes, I do love being able to predict when something is going to happen, but I do want to be surprised. Like this week's past episode, with Hannah being eliminated based on runway alone. That was a twist and I enjoyed it. Particularly since the promos made it sound like the runway would be the main event and panel would be right after. Not that it was a challenge and there would still be an elimination later on in the episode. I think Tyra and the production staff need to take a look at the show, see what still works and what's stale.

I disagree with Gianelli's suggestion to add more Ms. J. While she/he/it delights me on runway challenges, there are times in judging where I want to yell "SHUT UP!" She/he/it can irritate rather quickly. I saw bring on more Mr. Jay. He seems to still be taking this seriously--well, when not roped into being Beta Jay or Prince Couture--and does offer some great advice during photoshoots, even if Tyra is telling them something else at panel. I think they need to bring back some more of the models who used to stop by and offer advice to the girls. Not all of these girls can be expected to follow Tyra's footsteps and may have different strengths--we know some get canned for being only "commercial" or "editorial" or some other reason that was praised earlier but seems to be a good reason to get the boot at week 7. Bring in the other models to help these girls find what may be their niche.

I do agree with Gianelli's suggestion to bring back Janice Dickinson. Sadly, I tuned into Top Model in Cycle 5 when Janice was replaced by Twiggy. But Janice kept coming back to help the girls and do challenges/photoshoots. Bring her back. She always had the more critical eye and keeps the viewer guessing. Besides, there's always the possibility of a bloodbath when Janice is around.

The show needs to start taking itself seriously if its models are to be taken seriously. Watch the behind the scenes shows. These girls talk about how hard it is to gain employment after the show because they are labeled with the "reality shtick." Notice in the "Top Models in Action": they are girls who didn't win and are often successful overseas.

Note to Gianelli: These behind the scene shows reveal that the girls HAVE to scream when Tyra enters the room. They talk about walking and being, "Oh, it's Tyra," someone yelling "Cut" and making them refilm it until they think the energy is just right.

I know I should dare not say this, but perhaps the show needs a vacation. "Forbidden Broadway" has taken vacations and it will do so after this run is over. Of course, there is always the chance that the viewers won't come back. But the faithful fans will and new fans will. It's always best to go out on top than whimper to a finale.

No comments: