Thursday, April 1, 2021

March Broadway Madness: Semifinals!

Here we are! Our Final Four – Wicked, Beauty and the Beast, The Pirate Queen and The Phantom of the Opera – will now battle it out to find out who will go head-to-head in the final round.

So without further ado, let the Semifinals begin!

Let’s start with the Nederlander Conference:

Wicked v. Beauty and the Beast

Two stories about outcasts who find friendship and love – what a pairing! Both are rich stories with beautiful music to supplement them. I love “I’m Not That Girl” as much as I love “If I Can’t Love Her.” While one does hold a very special place in my heart, the other is just stronger in how memorable it is and how much of a lasting impact it’s left one me.

And that one has one of my favorite love duets.

Winner: Wicked!


And now onto the Shubert Conference:

The Pirate Queen v. The Phantom of the Opera

Two more beautiful scores that complement memorable stories. And I think “All I Ask of You” and “If I Said I Love You” round out my top three Broadway love duets, along with “As Long as You’re Mine.” So I think this one may come down to which one has the stronger story. Both are compelling and have resonated throughout the years, I think one is a stronger adaptation than the other.

Winner: The Phantom of the Opera!

Beauty and the Beast and The Pirate Queen came so far but fell just a little short. But congrats to them for making it to the Final Four!

Wicked and The Phantom of the Opera will go head-to-head to be crowned the champion. Which would you chose? Why? Let me know in the comments below!

Next time: The winner is revealed!

No comments: