Monday, August 24, 2020

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist: Looking Ahead

I wasn’t expecting to watch Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist but I’m glad I got pulled into it. It’s such a great show and so much more than what it was made out to be. You come for the fun musical numbers and get hit with feels.

And it’s wonderful.

Once again, I just wish it had gotten some Emmy nominations after such a good first season. But I also have a whole other rant about how the Emmy categories are probably outdated for how modern TV is nowadays and that maybe things should be divided up by broadcast, cable and streaming.

Anyway, back to Zoey.

Thankfully, NBC gave a greenlight to the second season of this show. With the pandemic going on, we don’t know when it will even film, let alone air but I’m sure the creatives are hard at work creating the second season so they are ready to go when they can start filming. So what will the second season bring?

I’d like to speculate.

I think we’re going to see some changes SPRQ Point with Joan running it and I think Zoey is going to benefit in some way. I don’t know if this will also be a way to bring Max back to the fold (Joan fires Ava and hires Max to replace her type deal) but I hope not. We’ll get to that later. And it’ll be interesting what happens with Leif. I think a possible arc for him is growing as a manager and a leader. He is a good foil for Zoey but I’d rather see him and Tobin band together with Zoey – they can still be snarky to each other while working together.

I can see Joan’s storyline going a couple ways. I feel the most likely one is that Joan flounders as the head of SPRQ Point and has to lean on Zoey more to help get by. But I also have suspicions that Danny Michael Thomas may have been setting Joan up – that when he goes off the grid, he leaves her holding the bag and she has to fight to save herself and SPRQ Point. I would love, though, if the storyline is that Joan is awesome at running SPRQ Point and at the end, Danny Michael Thomas comes back to reclaim his position and she decides to go start her own company, taking Zoey, Leif and Tobin with her.

It would set up a potential season 3 storyline, should we be so lucky.

As for Max…I don’t think I want him to go back to the SPRQ Point fold but maybe join up if Joan leaves SPRQ Point too. However, I think having him go to a new company will be good. It will introduce new people and expand his social circle. I can also see him having to bring Zoey in at least once to help him with a colleague with her super powers. But I think introducing Max to more people might help him stop idealizing Zoey.

Because, yes, I still think that he’s idealizing her. And I think in some ways, she played right into that when she just randomly kissed him and said she did it because she wanted to. I’m sure it was every one of his dreams coming true.

So, let’s tackle this love triangle as it’s clearly still going to play a role in season 2. While on my first watch of the show, I wasn’t really shipping Zoey with anyone, I do think my second watch pushed me toward Simon/Zoey rather than Max/Zoey, which I’m sure is clear with all of you by now. But that could change depending how the second season decides to play this. I just hope they don’t make one the villain. Love triangles are so hard to pull off and most end up going overboard to make one the wrong choice that it does the character (and the triangle) a grave disservice.

I can see how Mitch’s death could push Zoey toward either man. Max knew her father and had developed something of a relationship with him, so he is experiencing the loss and understands who Zoey lost. However, Simon has also lost his own father and so shares in the grief Zoey will be experience. He understands what Zoey’s lost and how her life has changed in a way Max may not. In some ways, Max could end up as the Jessica, depending on how they play it – well-meaning, wanting to help Zoey because he does truly care but unable to connect with her on the level she needs.

I do hope Simon learns about Zoey’s powers next season. And I hope they play it differently than when Max learned about them. I mean, they could keep the initial skepticism – because that’s crazy, though Simon will have the benefit of learning AFTER Zoey inexplicably sang to him in the meditation room. So it may not be so much of a stretch for him. But I hope they don’t go the betrayed route again. With Simon, who already believes Zoey has a special power to know exactly what he’s thinking, this should just be an explanation. At least, that’s how I feel – that he would be the more accepting of the two.

(But if it is played with betrayal, I don’t think that would be entirely implausible or out of character. Simon did trust her with a lot he didn’t even trust with Jessica so it could be a violation to him that Zoey was able to essentially read his mind to do so, giving her a leg up on him though he seems to be able to understand her without hearing her sing).

I also hope we get to learn more about Mo. He’s such an intriguing character and there’s so much more we have yet to learn about him. For example – what is his full name? Apparently it was revealed that Mo is short for his last name “Montgomery” in an interview with the creator. So what is his first name? And why does he go by Mo?

With Max gone, I hope they bring in a new person to the team. I really hope they bring back Abigail. If COVID plays a part in the show like other shows are announcing (for example, Grey’s Anatomy and This is Us have confirmed their upcoming seasons will tackle COVID), it could be that her trip to Africa was either cancelled or cut short so she can take the internship at SPRQ Point. It would also allow Howie to appear from time to time as well.

Of course, I hope David and Emily have their child in the next season and that it makes their relationship stronger rather than prove my fears it will weaken them as a couple. I’m still shaky on them as a couple, honestly, but I think season 2 could change my mind.

I’m also interested to see how Maggie’s world changes without Mitch. She’s no doubt going to struggle with the fact that her life had revolved around him, especially when he was sick, and no doubt has to figure out who Maggie is without Mitch. I can’t wait to see who she befriends throughout season 2.

And most articles have suggested that the creators are looking at a way to keep Peter Gallagher around despite Mitch’s death. I think the last words he said to Zoey are going to come into play – he’ll always be around even if she can’t hear him. But I can see him playing an almost guardian angel role for her next season, guiding her as she continues to help more people. I would also like to see some flashbacks to when Mitch was alive and healthy too.

I also want to see Zoey help people outside her immediate circle. We haven’t really seen a stranger sing to her since the premiere. I think it’s time to bring that back and expand Zoey’s world. It could either help or hinder her grief process – she can either work everything out while helping them or use them to avoid her own issues.

What about you? What do you want to see in the second season? Sound off in the comments!

No comments: