Monday, July 15, 2013

RIP Cory Monteith

"Glee" Star Cory Monteith Dies at Age 31

When I saw the article at Playbill (I linked to the one at E! Online), my heart skipped a beat. I could not believe this was true but, alas, it is. Glee has lost it's leading man and I want to take a moment to reflect on this, including some videos of Monteith's performances on Glee. Let's start with "Don't Stop Believing" from the pilot:




Of course, the question now becomes what to do with Finn on Glee. He was quite important to the show and anyone who watched "The Glee Project" knew how important Ryan Murphy thought he was. After all, how many times in judging did Ryan say they needed to find the "New Finn"? And it's a bit of a shame that Season 4 will Monteith's last one as Finn was aimless for most of it. But he still had his moments, like in "I Do": 



Too bad we won't get to see him realize his newfound dream of being a teacher. Or how Finchel finally gets their happy ending. But things will go on and we'll see things continue after a period of grief. "Don't Dream It's Over": 

(Sorry about the subtitles) 

So what do I think "Glee" should do? I think they should definitely address Cory's death and do so by killing Finn. It would not be fair to just write off such an integral character and you can't recast him. Monteith was Finn, no question about it. And he brought something unique to Glee. Watch him perform "Jessie's Girl": 



I envision Finn's death being addressed at the end of the season premiere. Perhaps it is mentioned he went on a trip and hadn't returned by his expected time. Everyone is worried about him throughout the episode but they keep going on with their usual routines. Then as New Directions sing something appropriate, we see a cop pull up to Burt and Carol's house and he makes the notification. The next episode is the characters mourning as Finn's funeral occurs. I can imagine the entire cast will return for this. And I also imagine New Directions vowing to win Nationals for Finn.

That's how I see it but no matter what Glee does, it doesn't change the sad truth: Cory is gone and with him, everything he could've been. He had an incredible talent and while he wasn't the best dancer, he still was one of the best actors on the show. Cory's absence on Glee will be felt and no tribute episode is going to make it go away. It can only bring closure and help make the loss hurt a little less.

So to all my fellow Gleeks out there, remember this:


No comments: