Saturday, July 6, 2013

Nostalgia Nook: Disney Adventures

When I was younger, I received four magazines: Highlights, American Girl, Nickelodeon and Disney Adventures. Of course I had a magazine put out by Disney—why wouldn’t I?

So let’s discuss it, shall we?

Disney Adventures came out monthly. And I loved to read it. It was my People magazine. News about different stars filled the pages. Stories about movies, TV shows and music were all presented to a tween/teen audience. Comics filled the back pages starring our favorite Disney characters.


I devoured them. And for longer than I thought. I went to see if I still had one and it is dated May 2004, which means I was reading the magazine until I graduated high school. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing. But it’s going to be a trip down memory lane…

We start with the mailbox, letters from readers just like any other magazine. And it seems readers were upset Buddy the Elf (Elf) beat out Legolas (Lord of the Rings) in “Who Would Win?” Maybe I wasn’t the only teen still reading the magazine, then. And then comes the calendar, marking release dates for music, movies and TV. And celebrity birthdays.

Next was the Flash section, which was divided into different categories. The movies section in this issues has an interview with Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen about their new movie, New York Minute, and Jennifer Garner about her new movie, 13 Going on 30. Lord of the Rings actor Billy Boyd (Pippin) is quoted talking about what will happen in ten years (pretty much now). He thinks they’ll try to recreate some scenes. Of course he doesn’t know they’d be working on the Hobbit! (Well, some of them).

Disney Magazine reviewed video games and had an ESPN section devoted to sports (I tended to skip that part). There were puzzles and a section where two people went head-to-head in “Who Would Win?” In this issue, it was Captain Jack Sparrow vs. Jack Black. Captain Jack Sparrow won.

And it ended with the comics, which were usually Disney characters—of course!

Oh, how I miss this magazine. It was discontinued in 2007, which is a shame. There’s a generation of children who won’t have the pleasure of receiving this magazine.

Next month: Captain Planet. He’s our hero.

No comments: