Saturday, April 19, 2014

Nostalgia Nook: Reading Rainbow

Oh my goodness! How did I miss my scheduled deadline? My bad.

This month, we look back at a beloved childhood show. And since I’m a bookworm, it deals with books!
Take a look, it’s in a…Wait. Do I need to do a spoiler warning? I don’t think so. But just be careful anyway.


Debuting in 1987 on PBS, Reading Rainbow was hosted by actor Levar Burton. It’s concept was simple: books. Each episode highlighted several books around a central theme. Some were read out loud, usually by a celebrity. And a few were reviewed by actual kids. There were also segments about real life things, usually tying back to the episode’s central theme. (I seem to recall a trip to the Crayola factory to learn about how they make crayons. Or was that Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood?)

Did I like it? Hell, yes. I always wanted to be one of the kids who talked about a book I had read. I thought they were so lucky to be able to do so. I used to pretend to be on the show and talk about books I had just read. Don’t pretend you didn’t.

One of the most watched episodes feature Burton taking viewers on a tour backstage of his other job—playing Geordi La Forge on a little show called Star Trek: The Next Generation. I’ve seen those segments and they were really good. Burton managed to get the rights to all the episodes, so you’ll probably be able to catch it on his website. It was a very good episode.

So for all of us who ever borrowed a book from the library because it was read on Reading Rainbow, I salute you.

Next month: Wishbone

No comments: