Sunday, May 5, 2013

Nostalgia Nook: Backstreet Boys

In the 90s, girls were divided into two main factions: those who liked the Backstreet Boys and those who liked N*SYNC. There were smaller factions, much like the independent parties come Election Day. 98ᵒ or another style of music. But let’s go back to the BSB vs. N*SYNC camps. I was a hardcore BSB fan. And I got into my share of fights with the N*SYNC lovers. Why?

Let’s find out, shall we?


I first heard the Backstreet Boys in 1997 when “As Long as You Love Me” came on the radio. It became my new favorite song which meant, of course, the radio stopped giving it heavy airplay. Because that’s what happens. At least to me. But I finally found out who sang it—the Backstreet Boys.

And here’s why my friends were (and in some cases, still are) my friends. After I deemed them my favorite group, I learned that my friends had also deemed them their favorite group. Without us consulting each other. It was around the time “Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)” came out and it was the first time I saw a picture of them. And I fell more in love.

There was a boy for everyone! We’ll start with mine, Nick Carter. He was the youngest member and the “cute” one. I’m attracted to blonds, which helped. My best friend loved AJ McLean. He was the resident bad boy, what with his piercings and tattoos. And of course the addictions. Brian Littrell was the lead singer. He was probably also supposed to be the sensitive one while cousin Kevin Richardson was the quiet one. Which leaves Howie Dorough as the geeky one. My friends and I always felt bad for Howie so we used to scream his name at events just to give him some love.

Let’s talk about the songs. I’m not going to pretend they were groundbreaking masterpieces. And I know they didn’t write their own songs. But their songs were still good, if commercial. I have never been any place where, when “I Want it That Way” comes on, no one has sung along. A friend likes to recall a time when she was on her way to a hardcore rock concert and, stuck in concert traffic, opened her windows while blasting Backstreet Boys. And the other concertgoers sang along. While they have produced some great up tempo songs, they have had their share of ballads as well. I still love “Shape of Your Heart.”

So, there’s my love for the Backstreet Boys. It may not be as intense as it was when I was a teenager but my love hasn’t died. If it had, I wouldn’t have rewound the BSB Old Navy commercial several times. Or bounced off the walls when Kevin came back.

So, Backstreet fans, let’s just enjoy our boys.

Next month: Tiny Toon Adventures How I Spent My Summer Vacation

No comments: