Monday, October 13, 2008

Dreaming My Christmas Dreams Early

I know it's a bit early to honestly be thinking about Christmas (though ads for the Radio City Christmas Spectacular are running), but I have been. For some reason, I cannot get in the Halloween spirit. Sure, I have a party already lined up and am costume-shopping, but my iTunes library is set to only play Christmas music. I've been having Christmas-related dreams. And I have be waiting for the release of this: Carols for a Cure Vol. 10.

This CD is made every year by cast members in running shows on Broadway to benefit Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS (BCEFA). I first heard about Carols for a Cure about two years ago, when I began lurking around BroadwayWorld's message boards. Last year, toward the end of October, I went to Legally Blonde for the second time (Side note: The musical does close this coming Sunday, October 19th, so if you can get to the Palace Theatre to see it, I encourage you to). As the busy holiday tourist season starts, BCEFA has a collection at the end of shows. They also sell the CDs then as well, so I bought one.

The CD contains a mixture of traditional carols (such as Xanadu's Kerry Butler singing a beautiful "Away in a Manager"), to redone carols (The Little Mermaid's "Joy to the World"), to new songs (Avenue Q's "At the North Pole Global Warming Surfing Party"). It soon became one of my favorite CDs and I had to try hard not to listen to the CD before Halloween was over (Alright, so I've had this "Getting into the Christmas spirit early" problem for a few years). Though I retired all my Christmas songs in January, I would still listen to some of the carols from this CD from time to time.

The tenth volume's track list looks quite promising and I hope it lives up to how wonderful I found the ninth volume. I would encourage anyone looking for a good Christmas CD and/or who loves Broadway musicals to buy this CD. All the proceeds go to a good cause and you get some wonderful music. All ten volumes are available, but I would say get the 10th volume as it also includes songs from the previous CDs.

No comments: