Monday, March 29, 2021

March Broadway Madness: Round 2 Shubert Conference

Half of my Elite Eight are now set! Time to determine which other 4 musicals will be joining the Elite Eight.

Let’s see how the eight musicals remaining in the Shubert Conference fare this time!

Spring Awakening v. Aladdin



This is an interesting match up. One is bright and extravagant, the other is dark and minimal. Each have their own messages, though one is more kid-friendly than the other. And both have some great songs, though I think one production and one album rises up a little bit higher than the other.

Winner: Spring Awakening!


The Pirate Queen v. Newsies

Oh, this is a hard one as I loved both productions. I still love the music from both as well as adore the casts I got to see perform these shows. And the stories have stayed with me for a long time. So I guess I’m going to have to go with my gut here.

Winner: The Pirate Queen!

Moving Out v. The Phantom of the Opera

Another interesting match up! One uses actual rock and roll music, the other still thinks it’s a rock opera. But one definitely has a story that has resonated throughout the years and still has left a lasting mark on me, while the other was a beautiful experience but only in the moment, not something I keep going back to time and time again.

Winner: The Phantom of the Opera!

Godspell v. Anastasia

I loved both musicals and both had great casts. Godspell always has a special place in my heart but Anastasia truly transcended its source material to become something special on its own. So while this is tough, I think one is a definite winner.

Winner: Anastasia!

There we have it! Spring Awakening, The Pirate Queen, The Phantom of the Opera and Anastasia will advanced to the Elite Eight. We have to say goodbye to Aladdin, Newsies, Moving Out and Godspell and congratulate them for getting so far!

With our options starting to dwindle, have you made any predictions for what will make the Final Four? Or the finals? Which musical do you think will win? Let me know in the comments below!

Next time: The first two matchups of the Elite Eight!

No comments: